Naked Walrus photo by Dan Iannaccone
Naked Walrus is a trio from Los Angeles, California who are slated to perform a few summer festival dates this year. Their alternative rock makes them a force to be reckoned with on stage, utilizing layered guitars to add layers of melodies to their songs. Their latest record, Simple, was released in 2016 and features six ear worm worthy tracks bound to get stuck in one’s head. Naked Walrus are taking their songs to the road with dates on Warped Tour and a spot at Summerfest in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Surrounding these summer festival dates, the band will be in venues as well. To highlight how playing a festival is for a band, Naked Walrus dropped five tips, which can be found below.
Summer means festival season and we like many other bands are hitting the road for our Summer tour. We’re performing at this summer’s Vans Warped Tour and Summerfest in Milwaukee,WI along the way so we thought we’d give the New Noise Magazine readers our 5 tips for preparing for a festival.
1) Always drink way more water than you would ever think you would need to. This is the most important festival rule whether you are performing or not but especially if you are playing a set. We are constantly drinking, if possible alkaline water, to make sure that we keep that hydration flowin. With out it our voices sound rough, our muscle tense up and the world around us becomes fuzzy! A lot of festivals have free water filling stations so make to sure to take advantage of those!
2) Get everywhere earlier than you would ever think you would need to. We’re from LA, where traffic is more common than family visits, so in our world we always have to plan in extra time so that we aren’t late. At festivals this is extremely important especially when it comes to parking. Getting your spot when you arrive can be way more difficult than expected so it’s best to be first in line rather then 1000th. Along with this we’ve found that the earlier you arrive the better spot you get and you have more time to go get coffee before the set!
3) Sun attire is a must! That means sunscreen, sun glasses, a hat, and anything else that can protect you from that crazy star that lights the sky. We like to get kids sunscreen because it’s usually a higher SPF and they have cool movie themed cans, like Cars or Little Mermaid. PRO TIP is to get your sunscreen at Walmart or Costco because sunscreen is insanely expensive so it’s best to buy in bulk. Feel free to bring us cool hats to our shows because we like cool hats / sunglasses to our shows.
4) A bad ass snack / shwag bag is necessary. This can be in the form of a back pack, purse, fanny pack, etc. If possible set your self up with a bag that has all your necessity items for the day. In walrus camp this bag consists of –
H20, Sunscreen, Back Up Cell Phone Battery Charger, Necessary Charging Chords, Chips, 1 Sharpie, Cutie Tangerines, 1 Pen, Beef Jerky, A Pad Of Paper, etc.
You can add or take out necessity items as needed but overall it’s good to have a bag to put stuff in.
5) An alternate outfit / sweat towel. Performing at festivals gets super sweaty. With out a change of clothes and/or a sweat towel the after show becomes a really awkward and wet experience. This is why the alternate outfit / sweat towel might be one of the most important tips we have for you.
We hope this advice finds you well! Look for us this summer on the road. You can find out if we’re playing in a town near at nakedwalrus.com/tour #tusksup
June 11 DiPiazzas : (Long Beach, CA)
June 23 – Vans Warped Tour ’17 (Las Vegas, NV)
June 24 – Vans Warped Tour ’17 (Salt Lake City, UT)
June 25 – Vans Warped Tour ’17 (Denver, CO)
June 26 – The Moon Room at Summit Music Hall (Denver, CO)
June 28 – Duffy’s Tavern (Lincoln, NE)
June 29 – Summerfest (Milwaukee, WI)
June 30 – The Pourhouse (Minneapolis, MN)
July 02 – Reggies (Chicago, IL)
July 04 – Drinkery Otr (Cincinnati, OH)
July 05 – The Demon Den (NASHVILLE, TN)
July 06 – Hi Tone (Memphis, TN)
July 08 – The Dirty 30 (Dallas, TX)
July 09 – Dirty Dog Bar (Austin, TX)
July 13 – The Green Room (Flagstaff, AZ)
July 14 – The Rebel Lounge (Phoenix, AZ)
July 16 – Hangar 24 Craft Brewery (Redlands, CA)