In the latest set of developments regarding Iced Earth guitarist and songwriter Jon Schaffer, reporting indicates that Schaffer has now waived his right to a preliminary hearing and will now be extradited from his native state of Indiana to Washington, D.C.
Schaffer was arrested after turning himself in to authorities and charged with six federal crimes for his participation in the January 6, pro-Trump riot at the Capitol.
The full list of charges is as follows:
- “Knowingly Entering or Remaining in any Restricted Building or Grounds Without Lawful Authority.”
- “Disrupting the Orderly Conduct of Government Business.”
- “Knowingly Engages in an Act of Physical Violence Against any Person or Property in any Restricted Building or Grounds.”
- “Violent Entry and Disorderly Conduct in a Capitol Building.”
- “Engage in an Act of Physical Violence in a Capitol Building.”
- “Parade, Demonstrate, or Picket in a Capitol Building.”
According to The New York Times, authorities believe that Schaffer is a member of an organized, far-right militia group known as the Oath Keepers, who were planning the invasion of the Capitol building in advance. Founded by veteran members of the U.S. military and law enforcement, the Oath Keepers affirm that a shadowy, globalist cabal is plotting to take away the rights of American citizens.
Schaffer can be seen wearing an Oath Keepers hat in a widely circulated photo taken inside the Capitol and has expressed similar far-right views in multiple interviews spanning the last few years.
Since word of Schaffer’s involvement in the Capitol riots spread across the Internet, his bandmates in Iced Earth issued a collective statement distancing themselves from the violence but stopped short of publicly disagreeing with his political views.
Photo by Roberto Schmidt for Getty Images.
The Department of Justice’s Statement of Facts regarding Schaffer can be read here.