Portland Sludge Grungers, Red Fang, have released their cover of AC/DC’s, “Hells Bells,” from the forthcoming Magnetic Eye Records (MER) compilation, Back In Black (Redux), due to be released December 3. For those about to rock, Red Fang and MER salute you.
Bryan Giles comments:
“I saw AC/DC in 1988 at the TCC in Tucson, Arizona. It was the second arena rock show of my young life. What struck me then and still sticks with me today is how perfectly they harnessed the power of the blues for a rock style. Even though they brought out cannons for ‘For Those about to Rock’ and had the requisite lights and pyros, it was a 100 percent, no-bullshit, go-for-the-throat show. They are the best band in the world at stripping all artifice and bringing pure beauty. They are a constant reminder that in songwriting, less can be way more.”
“Covering ‘Hells Bells was pretty intimidating to me initially. How do you improve on a benchmark song like that? It’s expertly constructed and has so much personality that falling short of the original is guaranteed. When David played the intro guitar part at practice with a darker turn to it, I immediately felt more confident since it leaned more into our sensibility. If you can’t play it better, make it your own animal. I hope people can enjoy our version in its own light. Let there be rock!”
Back In Black (Redux) track list:
1. Hells Bells – Red Fang
2. Shoot to Thrill – Howling Giant feat. Udo Dirkschneider & Peter Baltes
3. What Do You Do for Money Honey – Supersuckers
4. Givin the Dog a Bone – Smoking Lightning
5. Let Me Put My Love into You – Heavy Temple feat. Valient Himself
6. Back in Black – Besvarjelsen
7. You Shook Me All Night Long – Jakethehawk feat. Patrick Waters
8. Have a Drink on Me – Whores feat. Bill Kelliher
9. Shake a Leg – Early Man
10. Rock and Roll Ain’t Noise Pollution – Earthride
Preorder Back In Black Redux here.